List of hard drive clone software
If we want to make an identical copy of a hard drive, we use hard drive clone software to carry out the task. Hard drive clone is important particularly when we want to upgrade the existing small size drive to a larger new disk. This method will save us from installing and configuring the new hard drive from scratch. You just use the clone hard drive program to transfer all the files including operating system and application programs and start work on it as soon as you finish the cloning.
Here I have listed popular hard drive clone software. Most of the applications are freely available. And some of them have an advanced cloning version as well which can be purchased with affordable price. Generally the free versions have limited functionality when we compare with commercial versions.
Commercially available hard drive clone software
Acronis True Image
Acronis True Image is one of the top disks imaging software with many features bundled with the package. Other than cloning entire hard disk or selected files, it can backup all files to any storage devices and restore backup easily. Secure data deletion is also supported. If you buy Acronis, you are not only buying hard drive clone software but a program that incorporates all the benefits that the best disk image software should have.
Compatibility: Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7 and 8 both for 32bits and 64 bits
Supported files systems: FAT16/32 and NTFS Supported storage media: Hard disks, Network storage media, CDs/DVDs, USB, Firewire and PC storage devices
- Transfers/clones any old hard drive to new hard disk
- Backup entire hard disk (sector-by-sector) or selected partition including operating system, application and files. It offers many data backup features such as live backup, nonstop backup.
- Can store backups on any data storage devices
- Creates bootable CD/DVD
- Restores back an image to multiple computers
- Deletes files securely that are not needed any more
- Provides the tools needed to Recover data easily whenever disaster happens on hard drive data
- Easy and simple user interface
Additional features of Acronis True Image hard drive clone software:
- Data synchronization is supported that enables to see files on mobiles and tablets if the data is stored online
- Uses “snapshot” technology
- Backup scheduling capability
- Supports online backup
- Employs Try&Decide
Drawback:- Not compatible with Mac
Documentation: It has well documented and easy to follow tutorials and user’s guides. It is worth to try this hard drive clone software. Since it offers a trial version, you can download and see it yourself before purchasing the full version.
Norton ghost is the popular disk imaging software improved in every side comparing to the old versions. The latest Norton Ghost 15 comes with additional features such as cold imaging, Blu-ray Disc support, ThreatCon integration. It particularly clones entire hard disk or specific files and folders successfully.
Compatibility: Windows XP Home/Professional, Vista (all editions), Windows 7 (all editions)
Supported files systems: FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X, NTFS and Dynamic Disks Supported storage media: Hard disks, Network storage media, Blu-ray, CDs/DVDs, USB and Firewire Devices
Features of Ghost hard drive clone software:
- Make full hard drive clone/ backup or only files and folders you choose
- Lets you backup specific file types based on your selection
- Incremental backup is supported
- Event-based backup
– this will let you backup whenever there is a change in the system
- Can offsite backup to FTP site
- Support File compression that enables to store more files in less space
- Encryption is supported
- Can backup to and recover from most storage devices
- Restore back a system without requiring bootable CD
- Supports Cold imaging which lets you to backup files without installing Ghost
- Google Desktop integration
– makes data recovery faster
- Lights Out Restore
- Remote management
- Scheduling capability
- It can restore from older versions of Ghost
- Symantec’s Throttel control – this enables you to backup the data when security threat reaches a certain level (user defined) which makes Ghost unique from other disk image programs
Documentation: Norton has so far the best tutorials and guides for its products. Anyone can use Ghost hard drive clone software using the guide that is provided with the software without outside help. More manual are also provided its website.
WinSuite 2012 is all-in-1 PC utility software that features several maintenance tools in a single package. Means if you buy this program, you not only purchase hard drive clone software but other PC maintenance tools such as data recovery, PC speedup, password recovery, data protection, PC health check, etc. WinSuite 2012 can be grouped into clone hard drive program because it can clone disk and partition to another disk or partition.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Windows Vista and 7 (32 and 64bit)
- Clone partitions or the whole disk to another partition or disk
- Can backup and restore files, folders, partitions and disks
- Can wide data securely from disk/partition
- Recovers deleted or formatted data from various disks
- Find passwords for Windows and Office products keys, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook
- Built-in with privacy and security tools such as encryption
- Optimize and speed up computer
- Scan and clean registry database
Documentation: Provide one-year free technical support and answer questions within 1-2 hours. WinSuite 2012 is 90-day Guarantee product. If you are not satisfied with the product in 90days, they will refund 100% of your purchase.
Macrium Reflect Professional
Macrium Reflect Professional is the commercial version of hard drive clone software. It adds many features when we compare with the free versions that include file backup, disk space management, backup scripting, recovery capability, and encryption.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
Supported storage media: Hard disks, Network storage media, CDs/DVDs, USB drives and Firewire Devices
- Creates whole disk image or selected partitions
- Restores operating systems and programs
- File and folder backup capability. Can do full, incremental, or differential backups.
- Can backup to partitions and format hard drive
- Encryption and password protection capability
- File compression is supported
- Creates bootable disks
- Disk space management
- Can browse the backup with Windows Explorer
- User friendly interface
- Built in with special feature called ReDeploy that enables you to restore disk images or selected files to new PC
- Automatic update capability
- Support Scheduling
Documentation: Like other hard drive clone software, Macrium Reflect provides help guide and tutorials on its website so that users can follow through each step when cloning.
XXClone is primarily designed for copying Windows system disk including system files, application and data into another disk. It creates self-bootable disk that can be used in place of old disk without requiring restore process. XXClone is not disk-imaging tool but does the cloning perfectly.
XXClone comes in three versions: XXClone Freeware, XXClone Home and XXClone Pro. XXClone freeware is for everyone but if you want more benefits you need to purchase either the home or professional versions.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista and 7 (32 and 64bit capable). Windows servers 2000, 2003 and 2008 is supported in the XXClone Pro version.
Features of XXClone hard drive clone software:
- Clones windows disk to a new larger disk
- Backup system disk regularly
- Incremental backup
- Operates inside the windows environment
- Partial volume backup - System Registry backup
- File compression - Automatic shutdown
- HyperSync Backup capability
- Unattended Backup operation
- Non-system volume backup
- Employs Windows file I/O Application Program Interface to carry out clone hard drive operation
- Can clone a disk into another file system. Means it clones FAT into NTFS or vice versa
- Unlike most hard drive clone software, in XXClone the target volume can be smaller in size as long as it accommodate the files.
- Not incorporates most additional features found in disk-imaging programs
- Doesn’t support Dynamic disk as the target volume
Easeus Disk Copy Technician Edition
Easeus Disk Copy Technician edition hard drive clone software is designed for IT professionals, system administrators and technicians so that they can provide service for their clients. Not much difference with the home edition but it comes with some more benefits such as unlimited usage within a company, provision of technical services to clients and free tech support.
Compatibility: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, Windows Server 2000, 2003 and 2008
- Sector by sector disk/partition capability
- Creates bootable CD/DVD or USB disk to copy the whole disk
- Creates Linux based bootable disk
- Can copy, clone or upgrade small old drive to a new larger drive
- Built-in burning feature
- Copy inaccessible data such as deleted or lost
- Friendly graphical interface
- Recovery capability but limited options
- Supports up to 1TB hard disk capacity
- Unlimited usage within a company
- Free tech support service
- Don’t have backup features such as Incremental and differential
- Lacks many advanced disk image features
Continued on clone drive page…
Return back from hard drive clone software to computer hard drives
Return back from hard drive clone software to computer parts
List of free hard drive clone programs?
What are computer backup programs?
How to format hard drive?
Why do we need computer storage devices?
How to maintain your computer hard disk?
Online hard drive backup: pros and cons
How to clean hard disk?