Free hard drive clone software
Hard drive clone means making exact copy of your existing computer hard drive. This will help you to save all computer data as backup and enables you to restore back if something goes wrong with the existing hard drive.
Here I have listed the best free disk clone programs you can choose from.
Macrium Reflect free edition
Macrium Reflect is another disk imaging and cloning software. It comes as free version and commercial. The commercial versions include standard, Pro and Server. The free version is only for home use. It supports disk imaging and disk cloning.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
- Disk image and Disk clone capability
- Can access images in Windows Explorer
- Scheduling capability
- Linux Rescue CD
- Supports RAID (windows PE 3 Rescue media)
- User friendly interface
- Lucks differential and incremental backup
- No network support
Drive Image XML (free version)
Drive Image is freely available hard drive clone / image and backup creation tool. The private edition is only for home users which lucks many features than the commercial version. And support is not provided for free edition.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8 (32bit and 64bit)
Supported media: FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS
- Backup drives and partitions to image files
- Restore images to the existing or different drive
- Drive to Drive copy is possible
- Has scheduling capability
- Explore through images
- Manual Schedule capability
- Not possible to write directly to CD/DVD
- Not user friendly interface
- Limited options to create an image
- No incremental and differential backup
- No recovery capability
Documentation: DiskImage hard drive clone software provides support only for commercial version not for free edition. However, there is documentation and FAQ on its website that shows how to interact with the application.
XXClone is primarily designed for copying Windows system disk including system files, application and data into another disk. It creates self-bootable disk that can be used in place of old disk without requiring restore process. XXClone is not disk-imaging tool but does the cloning perfectly.
XXClone comes in three versions: XXClone Freeware, XXClone Home and XXClone Pro. XXClone freeware is for everyone but if you want more benefits you need to purchase either the home or professional versions.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista and 7 (32 and 64bit capable). Windows servers 2000, 2003 and 2008 are supported in the XXClone Pro version.
Features of XXClone hard drive clone software:
- Clones windows disk to a new larger disk
- Backup system disk regularly
- Operates inside the windows environment
- Employs Windows file I/O Application Program Interface to carry out clone operation
- Can clone a disk into another file system. Means it clones FAT into NTFS or vice versa
- Unlike most hard drive clone software, in XXClone the target volume can be smaller in size as long as it accommodate the files.
- Not incorporates most additional features found in disk-imaging programs
- Doesn’t support Dynamic disk as the target volume
Runtime’s Shadow Copy
Runtime’s Shadow Copy is a mini hard drive clone tool that can copy files and entire drive to another drive. It copies all files including locked and open files using Microsoft Volume Shadow Services (VSS). Shadow Copy is compatible with Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7 and 8. Anyone can download and use it for free.
The features include:-
- Copy all files whether they are locked or opened
- It can run from command prompt
- Can copy/clone entire hard disk to another and make the new disk bootable
- Shadow Copy can be automated using batch or task scheduler
The software does not provide any support for this freeware.
Easeus Disk Copy Home Edition
EaseUS Disk Copy is the other reliable partition and hard drive clone software. It comes in two versions: home Edition and Technician Edition. The home edition is only for private and home computer usage.
Compatibility: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, Windows Server 2000, 2003 and 2008
- Sector by sector disk/partition capability
- Creates bootable CD/DVD or USB disk to copy the whole disk
- Creates Linux based bootable disk
- Can copy, clone or upgrade small old drive to a new larger drive
- Copy inaccessible data such as deleted or lost
- Friendly graphical interface
- Recovery capability but limited options
- Supports up to 1TB hard disk capacity
- Don’t have backup features (cannot backup single file or folder)
Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 Free
Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 free edition is among the top five hard drive clone software comes with many features. Paragon’s free edition can create, format and delete a partition. It also supports advanced backup methods such as differential backup. In case of unbootable system, paragon can rebuild new “new recovery” media for the system.
Compatibility:- 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP Home SP2, Windows XP Professtional SP2 (32 and 64bit), Windows Vista (32 and 64bit), and Windows 7 (32 and 64bit).
Supported files systems: FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, Linux Ext2FS, Linux Ext3FS, Linux Ext4FS
Supported storage media: Hard disks (2.2TB+), SSD (Solid State Drive), Network storage media, CDs/DVDs, BD-R and BD-RE
- Can place backup image to a partition or to a secured place on the hard disk
- Can create an image of entire disk including system structure
- Supports differential backup which helps to save backup storage space
- Restores an entire disk and separate partitions image
- Creates bootable CD/DVD and USB Flash drive
- Built in with Recovery Medial Builder
- Checks the integrity of recovery discs
- Create, Format and Delete Partitions (includes other partitioning tools)
- Can add/delete archive to/from the database
- Supports scheduling
- Can’t restore a single image to multiple computers
- Can’t backup to FTP/SFTP server
- Can’t make exact clone of a hard disk on another hard disk
Documentation: Help and FAQ files are included in the free version of Paragon hard drive clone software. Online support is also available; however no complimentary support is for the free version.
Continued on clone hard disk page…
Return back from hard drive clone to computer hard drives
Return back from hard drive clone to computer parts
What are computer backup programs?
How to format hard drive?
Why do we need computer storage devices?
How to maintain your computer hard disk?
Online hard drive backup: pros and cons
How to clean hard disk?